Sunday, March 31, 2013

Break from The Past Two Years

Well, it is that time again, a post!

Today was a special day for a few reasons; One of the bigger reasons is that I just participated in my church's Drama group's THIRD "Night at the Improv". We had an EXCELLENT turnout and a whole lot of fun and laughs; Everything from setup to take down was a blast and I had loads of fun being with the group I was with. It was also a bittersweet time because one of our own will be leaving for school and she will be greatly missed. But enough sad stuff, we had fun today and that is what matters.

Also, recently I have taken up Ballroom dancing again, which is a TOTAL BLAST! This has lead to several things in and of itself. The story is a cool one so I will start at the beginning...

SUMMER 2007:

After I graduated high school, I went on a trip to the UK and Ireland; While I was in Ireland, the tour group I was with went to a a local restaurant where they had live entertainment, part of the performance was a group of dancers. The dancers did their dance and then had people come up from the audience and dance with them. Well, I had NO INTENTION of getting up on the stage because A) I was shy. B) I couldn't dance and didnt want to make a fool of myself. Well, one of the dancers came up to me and said this, "Do you want to come up and dance with my friend? She's shy and wanted me to ask for her."...well I was happy to go up...I mean a girl chose ME! (Looking back on this, it was probably just a ploy...) Regardless, I had fun!...and that is how my interest in dance was piqued. But I never thought that I would do it again.

FALL 2007:

I went to a military school for my freshman year of college and one of the things that military schools have is BALLS, (The fancy dancing kind.) and a couple of weeks before, there was someone that offered FREE ballroom dance lessons, so I signed up and learned the very basics of the Tango, waltz, cha-cha, and foxtrot. I mean who wouldn't want to learn some cool dances that make you look sophisticated? Well, I learned these...kind of, and used them at the Ball, and they turned out ok! Unfortunately there wasn't a whole lot of interest in dance so a club was never made, but I had fun learning and that interest stayed with me for quite a long time, but as timed passed, it slowly faded from memory until...

SPRING 2013:

I have a friend who is REALLY into dance and I've seen her post about dancing and various dances and this awakens that sleeping desire in me to possible explore the idea of taking up dance again so I mention that on Facebook and whadaya know? She tells me that I should! ( I know I should), but Im a shy guy still and usually don't like starting new things alone. Well, it turned out that she went to a dance studio called Royal Palace Dance Studio ( AN AWESOME place to learn dance if you are interested.) and she invited me to a group class...well I went and I had a BLAST!! The instructors were amazing and the students were supportive and fun to be around...and when I left there after that first class, I knew that I would be returning...now I have gone for 4 classes AND a Michael Jackson Theme party which was a TOTAL BLAST! Had a lot of fun and learned to put some ballroom/latin dances to some of MJ's music, learned how to do the moon walk and I even won  a prize for a "putting forth most effort " category for a MJ line dance.

This actually happened this past Friday and it was one of the things that made this past week so great, As well as hanging out with this friend on multiple occasions...but her story will have its own future post. ;-)

But yes, this week has been great and now Im tired...but now you know how I got started with dance, and now I hope to continue learning and getting better and maybe one day be an instructor...because more people need to get in on Ballroom/Latin dancing...just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment